scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Check out Scott Reads It for reviews, giveaways and more!Read from January 28-30 2012Reread from June 18-21 2013 Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is one strange debut, I have read it twice already and I still can't get over odd it is. When I say odd, I mean the good kind of odd because who wants to be normal? I have never read a book like Miss Peregrine's before and I doubt any other book could be as wonderfully creepy and bizarre. When I first read Miss Peregrine's, I instantly fell in love with this peculiar novel and the 2nd time around, I think I enjoyed it even more. It's no surprise to me that millions have people have already fallen in love with this novel. Everything about Miss Peregrine's is extraordinary and it is a book that truly defies genres. I'm not even sure which genre to categorize this book as, is it fantasy? Paranormal? Sci-Fi? Historical Fiction? Seriously this book is so unique that it doesn't really conform with the normal boundaries of literary genres. What I do know is that Miss Peregrine's is that it's an extremely well-written, structured novel. Jacob has always heard stories from his grandfather that are extraordinary and peculiar. He has seen photos of bizarre children floating and doing all sorts of crazy things. The thing is that Jacob used to believe in his stories but now he doesn't really believe these tales. Jacob thinks that the stories are fairy-tales his grandpa made up. Jacob goes to the island to discover if the children are myth or if they actually existed. Could the island be dangerous? What Jacob finds is beyond belief and will shock readers to the core! There's a little bit of Jacob in all of us. When we were younger we believed in things like fairies, magic, and witches. As we got older, we slowly discarded these ideas as fiction and just ridiculous. I think deep down we all want to believe that magic and other products of fairy tales are true but we just don't know what to believe. Jacob struggles with reality vs. the fictional world and it's a struggle we all have dealt with at one point or another. Jacob is a character that we can definitely all relate to with his immense curiosity and fascination with the paranormal. The plot of Miss Peregrine's is truly brilliant and Ransom Riggs knows how to craft an incredible story. I don't want to give anything away but you will be amazed and astounded by the creativity that flows in this novel. Even though I had read this once before, I couldn't help but feel this need to keep reading. I knew basically what was going to happen, yet Miss Peregrine's was so engrossing that I couldn't even fathom putting it aside. A great book is one you can re-read and it will never get old. I can definitely imagine picking up this book for a 3rd time right before I read the sequel and I know I will still love this story. The way Riggs incorporated original photographs into this book was truly genius. I love the uncanny nature of the photos and the vintage feel of them. These photos are just one of the countless reasons that make Miss Peregrine's a must-read. Seriously, pick up the paperback or hardcover of this book if you want the full magical experience of this book. I wouldn't recommend listening to the audiobook because then you'll be missing out on these photos and the brilliant way they are intertwined with the text. There is truly nothing like reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children! Reading this book is a one-of-a-kind rare literary experience that is unparalleled. Ransom Riggs has written a page-turner that is filled with all-sorts of wonderful surprises. I highly, highly recommend reading this novel and I am confident that this novel can turn reluctant readers into avid readers. It's no surprise that Tim Burton is set to direct an adaptation of this book and I'm dying to see Jacob's adventures on the big screen. I'm confident that this will make a highly entertaining movie and I can't wait to see it when it comes out in 2014. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children remains one of my all-time favorite books and words can't describe how much I LOVE this book! I'm super excited to read the sequel, Hollow City & January can't come fast enough! Thank you to Quirk for providing me with a finished copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.