scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices)

Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare See more of my reviews at my blog! I admit it, I have avoided writing a review for Clockwork Princess. I wasn't even sure I could write a coherent review because this book made me so emotional. Yes, I cried around a thousand times while reading Clockwork Princess, I am not ashamed to admit it. There are no spoilers in this review for any of Cassandra Clare's books. Immediately once I started Clockwork Princess, I couldn't stop reading. I was up late into the night reading this book because it was that spectacular. I have gotta say that this Cassandra Clare's best book to date. I have read and loved all of her books but none of her books have made me this emotional. (City of Lost Soul's conclusion is emotional but Clockwork Princess broke my heart a thousand times) There were tons of memorable quotes in this book and I decided to put a post-it every single time there was quote I liked on a page. Needless to say my book was littered with post-its all over. (I had to stop using so many post-its because I started to run out of post-its so quickly). I'm going to post some of my favorite quotes: “You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” His blue eyes were dark with understanding — of course Will would understand — and she hurried on. “I feel now as if the same is happening, only not to characters on a page but to my own beloved friends and companions. I do not want to sit by while tragedy comes for us. I would turn it aside, only I struggle to discover how that might be done.”"Heroes endure because we need them. Not for their own sakes.""Our hearts they need a mirror, Tessa. We see our better selves in the eyes of those that love us.""We are not our parents, Gabriel. We do not have to carry the burden of their choices or their sins.""Do not regret too much you have made in the past...Only make the right ones in the future. We are ever capable of change and ever capable of being our better selves". Those are my top five spoiler-free quotes. Clockwork Princess is not about who Tessa falls in love with. It in a way it's Tessa's coming-of-age story because Tessa finally comes to terms with who she is as a person. Sure I loved the love triangle segment of this book but I also loved seeing Tessa evolve. Tessa isn't the same girl that we met in Clockwork Angel. Tessa is now much more comfortable in her own skin and she's alot more mature. Tessa is now one of my all-time favorite characters. I swear I cried around a thousand or so times during this book. (I mentioned it before I thought I would repeat myself for emphasis). As far I remember, only 3 books have ever made me cry (The Book Thief, Prodigy, and now Clockwork Princess). I don't usually get so emotional while reading but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't keep calm while reading because I am so emotionally attached to all the characters. I cried for characters I never really liked too much, that's how much of an emotional wreck I was. I have already been told that it was "unmanly". Why is showing emotion considered "unmanly" to show emotion. Anyway I don't care what haters say because this is Clockwork Princess and I am never changing who I am.Anyway the more I read, the more I couldn't stop crying. I seriously need to get a grip on myself and the more I tried not to cry, I cried even more. This book will make an emotion-less zombie into a heart-broken fool who will cry a river. I wouldn't lie about that. There's no way I can express my love for this book or Clare's book without getting all ranty. The writing in this book is simply superb and it's definitely her best yet. Never have I read a more perfect and fitting end to a series, everything is perfectly resolved. There's so many ways I could describe the ending of this book: powerful, emotional, touching, sweet, and so on. I had just had so many feelings while reading this book that there came a point where happy and sad were basically the same thing. I just wanted Tessa, Jem, and Will to be happy. You'd have to be heartless not to shed at least one tear while reading this book. You don't have to be ashamed of it! I think there needs to be a support group for this book because I was emotionally torn apart while reading this book. One quote from Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Princess perfectly sums up all my feelings for “One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” and “You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” This one powerful and emotionally moving novel, I can't stress that enough. There is so much going on Clockwork Princess yet the plot is executed wonderfully. I loved the whole plotline with Henry and Charlotte. The relationship between Charlotte and Henry was just so sweet and touching. Everything is tied up neatly at the end and anything you could think of is resolved. Basically I'm obsessed with Clockwork Princess and I can't say anything bad about this book. If there's anything I want to come out of this review with, I want you to read Clockwork Princess. Cast aside, everything in your life but this book, nothing else matters. I promise you'll thank me later. There has never been a better love triangle ever written and there certainly has never been a love triangle executed this well. Clockwork Princess left me completely and utterly speechless. This book is just simply brilliant.