scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Strangelets

Strangelets - Michelle Gagnon Check out Scott Reads It! for giveaways, reviews & more! Thank you to Soho Teen for providing me with a review copy, in exchange for a honest review. Strangelets is actually the 2nd book that I've read by Michelle Gagnon. The first being "Don't Turn Around", now I'm not entirely sure if Gagnon's books are for me. Strangelets is a highly unusual book that I have trouble categorizing because it's a blend of so many different genres. Strangelets has a great premise, but ultimately it isn't executed well at all and is somewhat of a literary mess. Based on the description, you would think Strangelets is some sort of thriller/mystery, but it is far from it. The beginning of Strangelets definitely has the characteristics of a thriller, but as the novel goes on, this book became pretty convoluted. Parts of the book were sci-fi, while other parts were reminiscent of a thriller, but it didn't really work well for this book. It felt as if the author couldn't make up her mind about what genre she wanted to write a book in. That being said, Strangelets isn't a bad novel, but the mesh of different genres didn't work so well. The beginning of Strangelets was actually extremely intriguing and was a pretty promising start to this book. All of the characters were pretty distinct in the beginning and it was interesting how diverse their backgrounds were. As the novel went on, I really started to lose interest in the characters because I really had no clue as to what was going on. The whole novel had this "mysterious" Maze Runner vibe, but here the vibe doesn't work too well. It takes well too long for the reader to find out what in the world is happening and by that point I truly no longer cared. The author's explanations were pretty shaky, not to mention that they were complete nonsensical info-dumps. I think it would have worked better for me if Gagnon slowly, gradually gave the reader some indication as to what was going on. There is a little bit of romance in Strangelets and it is executed far better than the main plot. The romance may not have been entirely necessary, but it was definitely Gagnon's strong suit while writing this novel. I definitely would have liked a bit more development with the romance, but it was definitely done pretty well. I kept reading Strangelets, truly because of the strong beginning and a hope that it would end strong. I thought that maybe that the ending would be spectacular because of the big lead up that seemed was inevitable. The ending of the book was so unsatisfactory and was definitely pretty lame in my opinion. The conclusion felt a bit out of place and was an extremely odd plot point to include in this book. The ending was an extreme let down and really, really disappointed me. Strangelets was truly a let down and was extremely disappointing. A lot of the book's plot points felt a bit incongruous and so utterly unsuitable. This book definitely had a ton of promise, if it was executed properly. I think I'll give Gagnon another chance because both of her books had excellent promise and premises. Some readers will enjoy this strange novel, but I have a feeling that most will feel disappointed.