scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Eve (Eve, #1)

Eve (Eve, #1) - Anna Carey Check out my blog for reviews, giveaways, and more! "Love is just...feeling like that person matters to you, like your whole would be sadder without them in it." I bought Eve on my kindle a while ago when it was on sale at Amazon. For some reason it was just sitting there unread until recently when I was in class dying of boredom. I was so bored in school so I decided to read Eve on my computer's Kindle app. Thank you to my teachers for inspiring me to read Eve because I enjoyed this book! (That sounded kind of obnoxious even though I am completely sincere!) Eve is one of those books where there really isn't much going on plot wise Eve escapes from her school and enters the wilderness where she meets Caleb. Eve obviously falls in love with Caleb and they must escape the soldiers trying to capture Eve. That's pretty much the plot in a nutshell without any spoilers. Eve is a book that is romantically driven and that's pretty much the focus of this book. This book has few dystopian elements and the world building is pretty much non-existent. Our protagonist Eve isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and she lacks common sense. Normally I hate books like Eve but for some reason I actually really enjoyed this one. Our protagonist Eve may be book smart but she isn't street smart at all. She seems to lack common sense and in the beginning of the book she tries to pet a bear. She thinks the bear will be friendly like our good ole friend Winnie The Pooh. Despite the fact that Eve came from a school where they brainwashed the kiddies, I still find to hard to believe that she would think all bears are so friendly. The scene where Eve meets the love interest, Caleb is actually pretty hilarious and shows that Eve is a bit naive Despite the fact that Eve was incredibly naive, selfish and annoying at times, yet I couldn't help but empathize with her. Eve is parentless, her whole life has revolved around lies, and she is on the run from a ruthless king so I guess maybe I need give her a break. I truly wish Eve's friend Arden was in Eve more because she was definitely my favorite character in the book. No offense to Eve or Caleb but Arden is the star in this book despite her minimal presence. I really hope that Arden has more of a presence in the next two books. I can't express how awesome of a character Arden is and how disappointed I was that Carey neglected to make her a main character in this book. The romantic aspect of Eve was nothing new but still was entertaining to read. I was pretty happy that there was no love triangle or insta-love in this book. Caleb, the love interest was one of the better love interests that I have read about but I wanted him to be more human. I felt like Caleb didn't really have any faults and that just struck me as unrealistic. I definitely would like to see Caleb developed more as a character in Once and Rise. Based on everything I said above, Eve sounds like pretty much your average dystopian book. The thing that really makes Eve stand out from our books is the writing and Anna Carey's quotes. Carey writes in such a poignant way that makes you instantly empathize with Eve and feel for her. "Love is just...feeling like that person matters to you, like your whole would be sadder without them in it." "Love was death's only adversary, the only thing powerful enough to combat it's clawing, desperate grasp.""Loving someone meant knowing that your life would be worse without them in it."There is just something beautiful and emotional about the way Carey writes. There are definitely themes about death, love and moving on in this book. Looking back upon this book, I really think this is a pretty powerful book. Eve may not be the most original dystopian book and it definitely lacks in world building. Carey's strength in Eve is her writing skills, her character's relationships, and making this book extremely poignant. Eve is a bit weak on the plot and it comes across as a bit cliche but I would definitely recommend reading Eve.