scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Delirium

Delirium  - Lauren Oliver Seen at Scott Reads It Imagine a world where love is a disease called Amor Deliria Nervosa and the goverment has developed a cure for all 18 year olds. Lena is not too far away from getting the operation but then she gets the disease and everything goes haywire. Delirium is one of those books that it seems everyone had read except for me. I picked up Delirium because I wanted to see what all the buzz was about. I can see why Delirium is such a favorite in the YA community because it has action, adventure, and romance. Unfortunately I wasn't a big fan of Delirium due to it's slow pace, and basically because Delirium wasn't anything special. Delirium brings nothing new to the Dystopian genre. We have a female character named Lena who slowly realizes how corrupt society is until she rebels. Alex is her damaged and sensitive love interest who loves to read poetry to Lena. Both Lena and Alex were characters I have seen countless times before. I really didn't like how Lena needed Alex to save her and I wanted to see more of a bad-ass female protagonist. The setting of Delirium really isn't much of a setting at all because there is literally nothing special about Portland. You would think that a dystopia would take place in some horrible and twisted place but then you would be wrong. Portland is a place where love is outlawed, genders are segregated and all of those under 18 have a curfew. When people reach 18 they are cured (as I mentioned above) and they no longer have a curfew. Also people are no longer the same after the operation personality wise. Something I have been wondering is: Why did people just accept this? How did society transforms into this dystopian society? Curing love wouldn't solve any of the world's problems in my opinion and I really had no understanding of the society. Lauren Oliver doesn't give the reader an inkling about how society changed or agreed on such a matter. Outside the city there is the Wild where Invalids (outlaws who oppose the cure and the gov't). Doesn't this sound vaguely familiar?? That's because Delirium "borrows" much of the setting and plot from The Uglies by Scott Westerfield. In The Uglies people get an operation who changes people's personalities and outside the city is the Smoke where people who oppose the goverment live. The difference between Uglyville and Portland is that The Uglies gave you a fundamental and interesting backstory and knowledge about how society was formed. I feel like Lauren Oliver could have done so much with Portland but instead she created a very "bland" setting. Like other reviewers before me mentioned, Delirium suffers from an extremely slow plot. Slowly Lena realizes how terrible the government is with the help of Alex. The problem is that not much action happens in the book until the last 3rd (last 100 or so pages). The rest of this book is just romance upon romance scenes. I can read a book with only romance but it annoyed me how superficial it was at first. Instantly as soon as Alex and Lena met, they fell in love. The romance aspect of the book wasn't bad but I do prefer lots of action-packed scenes to accompany my romantic scenes. I really felt like Delirium really lacked emotional depth until the final scenes of the book. Does Delirium deserve the hype? I probably would love this book if I hadn't read so many dystopias with similar plots before. Everything in Delirium was so generic including the setting, characters, plot, and romance. Delirium took way too long to get into and there wasn't much conflict until the final pages or so. I am not sure if I will read Pandemonium but I hope Pandemonium has more action and adventure. Atleast there was no love triangle in Delirium because I am seriously tired of love triangles. Delirium was a decent read which I recommend for fans of Uglies and Matched.