scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Speechless

Speechless - Hannah Harrington Seen at Scott Reads It “Maybe when it comes down to it, what we're interested in doesn't mean-it's who you are that ties people together." "Hate is too easy, love takes courage." They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and Speechless's cover perfectly justifies that statement. Speechless is a raw, powerful novel that is just so unbelievably emotional. No cover could ever do this book justice and so I find this cover just so fitting. (Something random that I noticed is that Harrington's name doesn't even appear on the cover) Speechless blew me away and I can't remember the last time I read a contemporary novel this superb. Chelsea takes a vow of silence after she shared a secret that caused so much collateral damage. Little does Chelsea know that her vow of silence completely changes her outlook on life. Speechless is a spectacular coming of age story that is a must-read for people of all ages. In the beginning of Speechless, I'll admit I didn't like Chelsea at all but by the end of the book I loved everything about her. I loved seeing Chelsea grow as a character and how different she was by the end of this novel. I also really loved the supporting characters because they were realistically done and they were totally awesome. (Asha, Sam, and Dex are teens that are beyond cool and if they existed, I'm sure we'd definitely be friends) Speechless is a powerful novel about the power of words and friendship. If everyone took the chance to think before they said something, so many things would be left unsaid. Speechless made me reflect on myself and reminded me of when I was bullied in elementary school. Speechless is so thought provoking and gives me the urge to make myself a better person. Even though Speechless deals with an extremely serious topic, it is very light and humorous at times. The dialogue between the characters was extremely funny to read. I particularly loved the geometry jokes because I had a burning passion for that class back in high school. The humor in this book was not only entertaining but it also provided some comic relief. Speechless is almost 300 pages yet it really didn't feel that long at all. The pages flew by while I read Speechless because it's that immersive. Hannah Harrington perfectly captures the way teenage act, speak, and behave. She also does a perfect job of creating that atmospheric high school feel to the book. This may sound like mumbo jumbo but it's true. I am currently in high school and I can attest that this what high school is actually like. Speechless is a powerful and emotional book that I really enjoyed. I'm not sure why this book is labeled as "Chick-Lit" because this book is a book anyone can enjoy. I'm so excited to read Saving June and I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Speechless.