scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work and Writings of Dr. Spencer Black

The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black - E.B. Hudspeth I have a giveaway for this book over at my blog, Scott Reads It! I love reading about macabre, uncanny things so it's no surprise that I picked up The Resurrectionist. I have always enjoyed movies and books that are creepy, I blame Tim Burton, Ransom Riggs, and Darren Shan. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from E.B. Hudspeth's debut. The Resurrectionist was a super quick read for me and I probably finished it in under a hour. The Resurrectionist is one part biography of the infamous Dr. Spencer Black and one part medical codex for mythological creatures. Dr. Spencer Black's "biography" was short, sweet and straight to the point. The biography was extremely interesting to read and I loved the gothic tone this book had. I feel like this could definitely be adapted into a Tim Burton film with Johnny Depp starring as Dr. Spencer Black. The biography portion of this book was extremely entertaining, I wish it could have been a bit longer though. This book is filled with wonderfully strange medical drawings of creatures like the sphinx, the mermaid, the and so many more. The drawings in this book are absolutely spectacularly done and they are extremely detailed. I'm no art critic but the drawings in this book are just superb, the drawings are just so intricate and detailed. I loved all of the drawings except for the satyr which resembled drawings of the devil for my liking. Other than that small complaint, the codex is a creeptasticly awesome. Overall, I don't have much to say about The Resurrectionist because I zoomed through it so quickly. I would without a doubt recommend it for fans of Frankenstein and other Gothic books. I look forward to reading more of Hudspeth's books because the book market desperately needs more Gothic books. The Resurrectionist is a creepy delight that is sure to spook readers and leave them craving for more!