scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Tumble & Fall

Tumble & Fall - Alexandra Coutts Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more! There may be slight spoilers in this review. "This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a whimper"-T.S. Eliot When will I ever learn not to judge a book by it's cover? Probably not in the future, but it's a lesson I need to learn pronto. Tumble & Fall has an extremely gorgeous cover and that's what drew me into reading this book. Sure, I loved the premise of an asteroid about to strike the Earth and people living the last moments of their lives, but the cover really sealed the deal for me. Truthfully Tumble & Fall is NOT an apocalyptic novel at all, it's merely a contemporary "issue" book about parenting, family, and friends. Tumble & Fall would have worked better without it's pseudo-apocalyptic premise; this is straight up contemporary romance. Why the author decided to make this novel about the end of the world is beyond my comprehension! I know this is a tactic to raise the stakes, to make the character's goals more important to them, but it doesn't work well with the plot. I would have expected this book to be dramatic and for there to be high tension throughout the book. This book is anything but tense, and the tone of the novel is very serene and calm, despite the fact that the world is ending. I expected people to be panicking, for there to be riots, crime, murders because the world is ending. LIFE AS YOU KNOW IT IS ENDING AND YET ALL OF THE CHARACTERS WERE SO RELAXED AND CHILL ABOUT IT. It seemed as if all of the characters were apathetic towards the apocalypse and welcomed death. Their lack of concern towards the apocalypse was pretty disconcerting and unrealistic. If the world was ending, would you just sit there and fight with your family members? Would you run away with a guy that you just met that day? Would you care about such frivolous things? Some people will probably form a connection with the characters from Tumble & Fall, but I just couldn't. I wanted to like this book and it's characters, but the characters lacked depth and raw emotion. The characters in Tumble & Fall were dry, pretty one dimensional, and not very memorable. I can't even recall the characters' names 5 days after finishing it, because they were so bland and unoriginal. The characters were pretty generic and suffered from so many stereotypical teenage literary tropes. Don't even get me started on the lack of common sense that most of the character suffered from. These characters don't feel like real teenagers at all, everything about them feels so fake. The plot of the book isn't much better than the characters. All of the individual stories never really mesh well together and the connection between the stories is weak and virtually non-existent. I expected there to be a significance of the alternating point-of-views, but there really is no point to it. It can't help that all of the point of views sounded almost identical; I had no idea whose POV it was, unless I read the chapter header. The ending of this book was such a terrible way to end this book and I felt as if nothing was resolved. I felt angry and cheated by the way that the author failed to provide me with closure. The world definitely doesn't end with a bang in Tumble & Fall. I was extremely disappointed and I feel like I was misled by the book's description. Also I really need to stop judging books by their covers, because it's become problematic. Tumble & Fall had so much potential, but the author turned this novel into a convoluted, contemporary novel. Tumble & Fall is definitely my most disappointing novel of 2013 so far. *sighs*