scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Unsouled

UnSouled (Unwind, #3) - Neal Shusterman Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more! Unwind and Unwholly are two of my favorite books of all time and Neal Shusterman never ceases to amaze me with each book I read by him. Though Unwind was originally slated to be a trilogy, Unsouled wound up being too voluminous to be one book. S&S split Unwind's conclusion into Unsouled and Undivided and the Unwind Trilogy became a "Dystology". Unsouled is definitely a worthy sequel to Unwholly, it delivers a thrilling story that is disturbing and absolutely engrossing. The story is a bit slower paced than the previous novels and this is definitely the most character driven of all of the Unwind books. Throughout the novel, readers will enthralled by the perfectly written dialogue and action scenes. Shusterman manages to alternate from the 3rd person point-of-view of more characters than ever; this also means that there are more converging storylines than before. Despite the numerous point-of-views and storylines, everything is neatly done and it never feels overwhelming. A lot of books lose a sense of poignancy when they are written in 3rd person, but Shusterman fills his writing with so much emotion and power.In Unsouled, I lost so much respect for Lev and Connor, two characters who I used to love immensely. My perception of them dived during Unsouled and it's a bit disconcerting. Nevertheless Shusterman still manages to make his characters breathe and 3 dimensional, each in their own way. Though I'm no longer huge fans of Lev or Connor, it is extremely impressive how Shusterman juggles so many characters and manages to make each character completely distinct. The story ARC in Unsouled never seems to fully take off and it seems to be stuck in one spot. Though I loved Unsouled, it feels as if something is missing because Unsouled is really apart of a larger picture. In order to have fully appreciated Unsouled, I feel like I needed to have read Undivided so I fully understood the grand schematics of the finale to Unwind. I personally believe Unsouled and Undivided would probably have worked better as one large novel so readers don't feel as if they're missing out on the complete story. Unsouled didn't work too well on it's own and I feel bad judging it based on that aspect. Unsouled is a great novel, it's just a not-so great 1/2 of a conclusion to the Unwind Dystology. I loved where the story was going, it just ended way too soon and right when I was most engaged. I personally would recommend reading Unsouled and Undivided back-to-back instead of reading them separately. I wish I had waited to read Unsouled so I wouldn't have to wait so long to read a continuation of a story that I hold so dear to me. Unsouled is everything one would expect from Neal Shusterman and a sequel to Unwholly, it's just feels unfair to have an "unwound" book -- a book that is only bits and pieces of a larger body.