scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Bone Season (Scion 1)

The Bone Season - Samantha Shannon Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, and more!Thank you to Bloomsbury USA for providing me with an ARC in exchange for a honest review."Knowledge is dangerous...Once you know something, you can't get rid of it. You have to carry it. Always." The Bone Season is a strange novel unlike anything I've read recently. The author, Samantha Shannon has already been compared to J.K. Rowling; The Bone Season is the 1st book in a 7-book series. Truthfully, I can definitely see where the comparisons to Rowling are coming from, but The Bone Season resembles Shadow & Bone more, in my opinion. (That's a huge compliment from me because I absolutely love S&B and it is one of my all-time favorite books.) The Bone Season definitely lives up to the hype and I desperately NEED to read the sequel! I'm not going to do a quick synopsis of the plot like I sometimes do because the plot is way too awesome for me to do it justice. You can definitely tell that Shannon put a ton of effort into the plot because it flows extremely well despite it's voluminous length. I loved how The Bone Season is one of those books where everything comes back eventually. Things that I found insignificant eventually turned into epic plot points and it was just so unexpected. I know this makes so little sense , but describing this book is such a daunting task. The Bone Season is just complex, there's no way for me to properly explain my feelings in a coherent review (I'm doing my best to make this coherent, but I can't promise you it's going to turn out well). The plot is extremely original and was unlike anything I've read before. Shannon has created so much strange and peculiar mythology that provided so much depth to the novel. This book is just something so odd and yet so special at the same time. Though The Bone Season started off a bit slow because I was just so confused, the plot quickly became so action-packed and spectacular. It definitely takes a bit of time to get into The Bone Season because it's so unusual and is packed with so much mythology and so many backstories. Once you get into The Bone Season, you will be so immersed in the magical world of the Scion that you may want to cancel everything else you have to do. The Bone Season is a novel that is rich in well-done mythology and world-building. There's an unusually large surplus of world-building in this novel, so many books I read lack proper world-building. The world building in The Bone Season is so intricate and developed beyond comprehension that it's just mind blowing. I want to uncover all of the secrets the Scion had to offer and to see more of this vivid, dark world. The author answered any questions I had about the endless world of the Scion and there's just so much to explore in the next 6 books. Paige is a complex, conflicted protagonist that just reminds me so much of Alina from the Grisha Trilogy. Paige is such a feisty character and I absolutely loved her kick-ass, stubborn nature. Paige is an enigma that I feel like is hiding so much and I feel there's more to her than it seems. I feel like Paige has layers of secrets that are just waiting to be unearthed. I also think there's more to Warden than meets-the-eye, he is the charming, yet despicable protagonist of the character. He definitely has the dark, supreme aura that surrounds the Darkling and I just can't describe the whirlwind of emotions I felt regarding Warden. The Bone Season was a pleasant surprise and I can't recommend it enough! This is a book that I could definitely imagine re-reading and discovering layers that I overlooked in my 1st reading. Samantha Shannon is destined for great things and I know she will WOW me with the next Scion book! I am extremely confident in Shannon and I have a feeling that she won't disappoint me. I'm desperately awaiting the sequel and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Seriously, put everything aside and read The Bone Season, you won't be disappointed!