scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland - Find this review at Scott Reads It Why did I read this book? First of all I am an Alice in Wonderland aficionado and I have read the book and seen the Disney movies several times. I also love mashups and retellings, and I expected this book to be reminiscent of Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I also read Gena Showalter's Intertwined series and I enjoyed the action, adventure, romance and originality of the series. Zombies are one of my favorite creatures to read about ever since The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I started Alice in Zombieland with such high hopes and maybe that's why I am so disappointed. I really felt like I was deceived into reading this book because it is marketed as an Alice in Wonderland retelling yet it really isn't one. Besides that the character's name is Alice and that she sees white rabbits there is nothing else Wonderland related. Occasionally Showalter added references to Carroll's masterpiece but all these references felt extraneous and pretty pointless. Instead of getting an Alice in Wonderland retelling we get a pretty generic romance with mediocre action scenes. Alice in Zombieland is the story of Alice Bell who gets into a car crash and her parents die. The police thinks her parents died from wild dogs but Alice think it's zombies. Alice's father always preached that there were invisible monsters or zombies and that the family had to be careful. Alice also thought he was crazy until the day the car crashed and she saw zombies. Now Alice is caught in the struggle against Zombies and 2 lovers. Alice in Zombieland felt like a chore to read. Showalter brought a new concept of Zombies in Alice in Zombieland but I found that the idea wasn't executed very well. All the "action" scenes were difficult to read but I kept on reading and reading. I really had hope that it would get better but it didn't really get better at all.The love triangle was very unoriginal and uninteresting. We had the bad boy, Cole and good guy Justin of course! Cole was a controlling jerk and Justin seemed really nice but he turned out to be a jerk also! Both Cole and Justin were not memorable at all and I really had difficulty even remembering their names! At least in Intertwined Showalter created memorable characters and plot but this was not the case in this book. Gena Showalter's latest YA novel is nothing new with it's unoriginal love triangle, and slow pace. This book felt dreadful to read and in the last 50 pages or so I found myself skimming the ending. Besides lacking an exciting plot, and characters this really is not an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I really felt like I wasted my time reading this book and I can't understand all the 5 Stars this book received!1 Star!