scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Pure (Pure Trilogy)

Pure - Julianna Baggott Check out Scott Reads It for reviews and so much more! “Beauty, you can find it here if you look hard enough.” I really didn't know what to expect going to Pure. The reviews for Pure are pretty mixed and I wasn't sure if I would actually enjoy this book. As soon as I started Pure, I was swept into a disturbing but beautiful tale of hope in a grim world. Pure exceeded all my expectations and it really blew me away. Julianna Baggott doesn't hold back ever. Pure is an extremely dark novel that follows Pressia who has a doll head as a hand. After the Detonations people started to fuse to objects that were near them when these detonations occurred. Despite the fact that Pressia is such a bad enviroment, she is always so optimistic and hopeful. I know that I wouldn't be able to be as positive and hopeful as Pressia. It was admirable how Pressia managed to see the silver lining and how she never gave up even when all hope seemed to be lost. The alternating perspective is such an effective tactic in Pure. I love reading from El Capitan, Pressia, Patridge, and Lydia's point of view. Despite that fact that the story switches perspective so often, Pure wasn't confusing at all. The alternating perspective was a great technique because it gave the reader an idea of what's really going on the world. We find out what's going on inside and outside the dome from these 4 characters. All of the main characters are extremely distinct and interesting to read about. My favorite characters were definitely Pressia and Partridge because of their boundless determination. Pure is an extremely detailed and beautifully written book. The author, Julianna Baggott has written such an atmospheric and vivid environment in Pure. It was so extremely easy to picture the beasts and the other creatures from Pure due to the extremely intricate descriptions. There is definitely a theme in this book about how hope will always exist even in dark times. In a few pages, I went from being extremely terrified to being extremely hopeful. Pure isn't like anything I've read before. This is one powerful dystopian book that you don't want to miss. The last time I was this terrified by a book was when I read 1984 by George Orwell. I know the movie rights have been sold already and I know that if it's done right, Pure would make an extremely poignant and powerful movie. Hollywood please don't ruin this book! The world building in this book is probably the best that I've ever read in a dystopian book. Unlike most authors Baggott doesn't leave any of your questions left unanswered about their book's world. There are just so many plot twists in Pure, the thing is I didn't see any of them coming. Thankfully this book didn't have a love triangle, despite the fact that I thought there would be one in the beginning. When you read Pure it will never cease to surprise you. This is by far one of the most imaginative and creative books that I've read. I'd highly highly recommend reading Pure and I have to get my hands on Fuse ASAP. Pure is truly a book like no other and it is now one of my all-time favorite dystopian books. This book is truly a must read for fans of 1984 and other dystopian books.