scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me - Seen at City of Books When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead is the second book I have read by Rebecca Stead. The first was Liar & Spy which was my impetus for reading When You Reach Me. When You Reach Me is a science-fiction contemporary mystery unlike Liar & Spy. When You Reach Me is the story of a 6th grader named Miranda whose life is forever changes when her best friend Sal is punched in the face. Mysterious notes start to appear with information about herself and the future. These notes are a warning that she can prevent someone's death. When You Reach was a short mystery that just wasn't for me. There are numerous references to Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time which I didn't enjoy at all. Also I didn't really like the characters as I did when I read Liar & Spy. I didn't really find the characters unique or interesting at all. In my opinion most of the characters were pretty one dimensional and pretty bland. When You Reach Me's characters didn't really have the emotional depth that I enjoy reading about. Though I didn't enjoy the plot of When You Reach Me, I gotta say Stead's prose is fantastic. Her writing style is extremely addicting to read and just urged me to keep reading. I didn't enjoy When You Reach Me too much but I still would like to read First Light. Considering most people gave this book fantastic reviews (4 or 5 stars), you'll probably enjoy it. I am definitely in the minority with my opinion of When You Reach Me but don't let that stop you from picking it up. I'd definitely recommend Liar & Spy If you're looking for a cute and fun mystery, read When You Reach Me!