scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green Seen at City of Books I really enjoyed reading John Green books and Every Day by David Levithan, so I decided to pick up Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I had previously picked up Will Grayson but there was too many derogatory words like "fag" for me to enjoy. Now after reading Will Grayson, I realize using words like fag were necessary to create an authentic and realistic feel to the book. Most Young Adult readers are familiar with John Green books. They all follow an addicting formula where a nice, geeky, and awkward guy meets an amazing girl who changes the guy's life. Will Grayson, Will Grayson was a very atypical John Green novel as it is told from alternating perspectives. It is told from the point of view of two teens named Will Grayson. John Green's Will Grayson is attracted to a smart, and charismatic girl named Jane. Will Grayson is just your average John Green nerdy guy that reminded me of myself. Nerdy Will is friends with Tiny who is gay and very large. Tiny was definitely one of my favorite characters in the book due to his interesting personality. The other Will Grayson is homosexual and he has manic depression. At first I liked Nerdy Will better than Depressed Will but soon I began to prefer Depressed Will's chapters. The Will Graysons meet at a very unexpected place and hilarity ensues. Frankly Will Grayson was a very entertaining read but it didn't live up to the expectations his previous books established. Nerdy Will wasn't just as interesting as Depressed Will or Tiny. Depressed Will's sense of humor was one of the best parts of Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I particularly enjoyed his rant on "LOL" and other texting jargon. Also I did enjoy the IM conversations between Depressed Will were really interesting to read I have read a couple reviews of Will Grayson, Will Grayson and many of them are bashing the musical finale. I do admit that it was a bit predictable but it was definitely entertaining. Will Grayson, Will Grayson wasn't my favorite John Green book (that honor goes to Looking For Alaska). In my opinion this wasn't as emotional as Green's other books such as TFIOS or Looking For Alaska and that was a downside in my opinion. I really enjoyed David Levithan's character with his twisted sense of humor. This was also my first GLBTQ book and in my opinion Will Grayson did a great job dealing with sensitive topics such as "coming out of the closet". Another aspect that I enjoyed was how all the homosexual characters weren't your typical homosexual characters. I would definitely recommend Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I can't wait to read more of David Levithan's novels. If you're looking for another contemporary novel to read I would definitely recommend reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson, any John Green title and Every Day by David Levithan. The only books I have read by Levithan are this book and Every Day but I know I will read more of his books soon.