scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Eat, Brains, Love

Eat, Brains, Love - Jeff Hart I thought Eat, Brains, Love was going to be the perfect book for me. I love the gruesome cover and how it looks like a parody of [b:Eat, Pray, Love|19501|Eat, Pray, Love|Elizabeth Gilbert|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1294023455s/19501.jpg|3352398]. The description also was alluring to me with it's promises of being a "laugh-out loud funny debut" and the comparison to [b:Warm Bodies|7619057|Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)|Isaac Marion|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323400027s/7619057.jpg|10090210]. The thing is Warm Bodies is a deep, moving novel filled with themes about what it means to be human. I only read 10% of Eat, Brains, Love about what I read was enough to convince me that it was nothing like Warm Bodies. Eat, Brains, Love was filled with product placements and pop culture references on each and every single page. How many times can an author mention Dr. Pepper or Pepsi? Also I felt like this book had no crossover appeal what-so-ever. This book is targeted to the stereotypical male adolescent and it in the first couple of pages it is ridiculous. The author mentions Call Of Duty, XBox, staring at a girl's cleavage, and other male stereotypes. Sure I only read only part of this book but it was enough to convince me that this isn't the book for me. The description mentions insta-love and I don't think I would enjoy the rest of the book. I may continue this book in the future but for now I'm putting it aside. This book definitely had promise but it didn't measure up to my expectations.