scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Bully Book: A Novel

The Bully Book - Eric Kahn Gale Seen at Scott Reads It I usually don't read books like The Bully Book. Before I received an ARC of The Bully Book, I had never even heard of this book or the author. I gave this book the benefit of the doubt and I'm glad I gave The Bully Book a chance. For the most part I really enjoyed reading this book but the ending was a bit of a letdown. I was looking forward to a powerful and emotional ending that would come across with a thought provoking lesson or moral. The ending did tie up everything nicely but I wanted there to be something that would warn us about the dangers of bullying or how bullies never win or something like that. The Bully Book just had a happy ending but I really wished it ended more powerfully. The ending just had so much potential and I feel like Gale could have done so much more with the conclusion. I guess my lack of enthusiasm with the conclusion of The Bully Book is rooted in Wonder by R.J. Palacio. When I finished Wonder I was blown away by such a powerful ending that showed how bullies never win and I was just speechless. **Thank you to HarperTeen for providing me with an ARC of The Bully Book in exchange for a honest review.** The Bully Book follows Eric who is the "Grunt" or the victim of bullying in his grade. Eric finds out that he was chosen using the guidelines of The Bully Book, a book that the 6th graders use to “make trouble without getting in trouble, rule the school and be the man”. Eric is desperate to find out why he was picked to be the Grunt. Eric was an interesting protagonist because for a 6th grader he acts incredibly mature. I remember when I was in 6th grade, none of the kids acted even half as mature as Eric did. Besides being mature, Eric was also definitely really dedicated to finding The Bully Book. After finishing The Bully Book, I began to question Eric's dedication. Was Eric concerned with the welfare of all the kids in his grade or was he only concerned with his well-being? Eric felt sincere for the most part but I couldn't help questioning whether he was unfeigned. The Bully Book was a pretty quick read and it certainly was entertaining. I enjoyed reading Eric's narration because it was full of humor and nice insight. In this book you truly get to see how horribly kids treat each other and I just wish everyone in the world could just get along. It really puzzles me as to why people feel the need to put down and bully each other. The Bully Book is an entertaining book but it lacked a powerful or heartwarming message. Despite the fact that I was less than pleased with the ending, I would still recommend it to people of all ages. The Bully Book was like nothing I have ever read and I look forward to reading more by Eric Kahn Gale.