scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Dark and Hollow Places (Forest of Hands and Teeth Series #3)

The Dark and Hollow Places - Carrie Ryan Check out more reviews at Scott Reads It! "Sometimes life isn't about the end. It's not always about tomorrow and the day after that-what we achieve over the years and how we leave the world. Sometimes it's about today." I was a bit reluctant to read The Dark And Hollow Places for two reasons. I have read tons of trilogies and the 3rd book in a trilogy almost always manages to disappoint me. I usually don't like how authors resolve trilogies because the conclusions usually feel way too rushed. Second of all, it sounds kind of juvenile but I avoided reading this book because I didn't want this series to end. The Dark And Hollow Places is an extremely satisfying conclusion that definitely exceeded all of my expectations. Carrie Ryan is truly a literary genius. Only Carrie Ryan could make a zombie book into something so beautiful and emotionally powerful. The Dark And Hollow Places filled me with hope and yet at the same time it broke my heart and shattered it into a million pieces. No matter how hopeless a situation may seem, no situation is entirely hopeless. Annah is so different from Mary and Gabry but I still loved her nevertheless. Annah is extremely insecure about herself but you really can't blame her. Some readers will probably find Annah irritating but her insecurity is really a result of her situation. Even though everything feels so bleak and hopeless, Annah is determined to continue to fight each and every day.If I was in the situation that Annah was, I highly doubt I'd be as hopeful or determined as she was. I really loved watching Annah evolve as a person and accept who she is. The Dark And Hollow Places is even more horrifying than both The Forest And Hands Of Teeth and The Dead Tossed Waves. Everything feels even more bleak and hopeless in this book. Carrie Ryan takes advantage of the situation and uses the setting to put across some thought provoking messages. What does it mean to be human? When is it okay to give up? Is life worth living without hope? Some people have complained about how this series ended because it's a bit open ended. I found the ending extremely satisfying and it was a truly perfect ending. I don't want to give anything way but I loved the ending! The Dark And Hollow Places is a thought-provoking conclusion to one of my all-time favorite series. I really look forward to reading more of Carrie Ryan's books and I hope I enjoy them as much as I enjoyed this book. I'd highly recommend reading all of The Forest Of Hands And Teeth books and I believe these books really deserve the hype they receive!