scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version - Philip Pullman, Jacob Grimm Seen at Scott Reads It!Everyone knows at least one Brothers Grimm fairy tale Whether it be Cinderella, Snow White, Red Riding Hood or the Frog Prince, most people are familiar with these stories. It's a common misconception that the Brothers Grimm wrote fairy tales. The Brothers Grimm traveled all around trying to collect folk lore that had been transmitted for generations orally. The Brothers Grimm had no part in creating these tales, they merely collected them and published them in Children's And Household Tales. I loved the Grimm stories as a child and I am currently obsessed with Once Upon A Time. As soon I saw the names Philip Pullman and Grimm I immediately requested it on NetGalley. Mr. Pullman, renowned author of His Dark Materials decided to retell these classic fairytales for their 200th anniversary. I did enjoy reading this collection of fairy tales but I definitely had some problems. I really enjoyed reading some of the lesser known fairy tales but there came a point when reading these unfamiliar tales became cumbersome. So many of the stories in this collection of Grimm Fairy Tales are very similar in structure and plot. A decent amount of these stories felt identical to the point where I felt like I was reading the same story multiple times. Many of the stories I didn't know featured those same stock characters and plot lines I was already familiar with. There is always the father that ends up trading his daughter, and in the end the daughter gets happily married. A vast majority of the stories were the same old tale retold slightly different with a different character or minor plot element. I literally could figure out what was going to happen in almost every single story from the beginning. Despite all my complaints about Fairy Tales From The Brothers Grimm, I did enjoy reading it. It was not exactly a memorable book but it certainly was entertaining. I really enjoyed many of the lesser known tales except for the stories that felt like duplicates. If you haven't read a collection of Grimm fairy tales I would recommend Philip Pullman's Fairy Tales From The Brother Grimm. Even if you're a fairy tale fanatic, this book is definitely a must-read! I really wished that Pullman chose more diverse stories because so many of the stories felt identical. *Thank you to Viking Adult for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for a honest review*