scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #1)

Grave Mercy  - Robin LaFevers, R.L. LaFevers Seen at my blog, Scott Reads It! Why did I wait so long to read Grave Mercy? I guess I was afraid of being let down because I had such high expectations for this book. Also I was extremely intimidated by Grave Mercy's length, this book is nearly 550 pages long. The one good thing about waiting so long to read this book is that I don't have to wait for the sequel. Nuns. Don't ever underestimate the power of a nun. The Forest Of Hands And Teeth taught me that a while ago and Grave Mercy has supported that concept. Nuns aren't merely religious women who serve a god, no sirree nuns kick major ass. Ismae is one powerful woman. I truly admired Ismae's bravery and determination in serving Mortmain. I initially didn't like Duval but he definitely grew on me. I loved reading about Ismae's interactions with Duval with extremely interesting to read. They are definitely an odd duo but they are perfect for each other. I really want to read more about Sybella, I found it kind of odd that she kept cropping up for brief periods of time. (It makes sense though because Dark Triumph is about Sybella). Robin LaFevers is very meticulous when it came to writing Grave Mercy. LaFevers describes everything flawlessly and painted a picture of what life was like in Brittany. Everything in Grave Mercy is extremely detailed and well-researched. I loved reading about all the different sorts of weapons that Ismae carried. The intricate details and well-researched plot really reminded me of another Historical Fiction book that I loved, The Diviners by Libba Bray. I loved the political aspects of this book which for me is an extremely odd thing to say. I hate listening to people debate politics, and I just hate reading anything political. If you would have told me that I would love book focused on the politics of Brittany, I would have called you crazy. Robin LaFevers made the political aspects of this book extremely interesting to the reader and I actually craved reading about the politics of the duchy. The politics were interesting because they weren't cranky old politicians. I think the politics in Grave Mercy were interested me because it was intense (any political change could mean life or death for our characters). While reading Grave Mercy, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. This book was extremely addicting to read and it kept me begging for more. There is nothing predictable about Grave Mercy, every single plot twist completely caught me off guard. From early buzz, I've heard that Dark Triumph is even better than Grave Mercy. Now I have an overwhelming urge to read Dark Triumph but alas it's not out till tomorrow.