scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Relic

Relic - Renee Collins Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more! Relic will without a doubt become a popular book among the Goodreads community. It has an extremely original premise, a romance with sexual tension, and an extremely eye catching cover. Even though I didn't quite hate Relic, I never really felt invested in the story or the characters. This is one of those "It's not you, it's me" kind of books that just didn't catch my attention. Relic introduces some concepts that I have seen before just in different variations. The idea that bones can be used to harness magical energy isn't a new idea at all; in Ancient China people used to use animal bones to scry or tell the future. I can't remember if I have ever seen this concept used in a book before, but I feel as if I have. The whole relic business is executed well on a grand scale, but it just didn't work for me. It was a very interesting idea, but I never found myself feeling anything more than indifference towards the relics. I really wanted to see more of the raw, powerful abilities of the relics to a greater extent. A lot of reviewers have mentioned in their reviews that Maggie is such a strong heroine. I really can't think of one thing that separates Maggie from other female protagonists. She was a pretty average character and I felt that her character needed to be developed a lot more. One of the only redeeming things about Maggie is her relationship with her sister, Ella. Their relationship was cute, but it wasn't an extremely memorable aspect of the book. Landon is another typical, turn-of-the-mill character that I've seen in countless books. So many readers have already fallen for his "sexy cowboy" persona and I'm not sure why. Landon never really acts like a cowboy at all, he doesn't get into horse chases, stop robbers, or round up cattle. The only characteristic that would classify him as a cowboy is the fact that he lives in a Wild Wild West-esque place. Landon was the stereotypical nice guy from YA lit, there was little development to his character also. The plot wasn't compelling and I had to force myself to keep on reading each chapter. I just couldn't muster up any interest for the plot because the plot was fueled by romance. The plot was mostly character driven and the romance helped the plot chug along. The romance wasn't insta-love, but I did feel as if Landon and Maggie fell for eachother way too quickly. I wasn't a fan of their relationship and I never felt as if I was ever given a reason to ship them. Relic definitely has major appeal for a lot of YA readers, but this wasn't my type of book. I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Western with magic environment, in addition to the characters and plot. I can't see myself bothering with the sequels, but who knows? I'm a bit disappointed that Relic just wasn't the book for me and I hope other readers have better luck with it.