scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

House of Secrets

House of Secrets - Enter to win House Of Secrets on my blog! "Sometimes you can't get your life back. Sometimes you have to take it back." I have been a fan of Ned Vizzini ever since I read It's Kind Of A Funny Story a couple years ago (If you haven't read this book yet, what are you waiting for? Stop reading this review immediately and get It's Kind Of A Funny Story. I know you'll thank me later). I have read everything by Vizzini except for Teen Angst? Naaah . . . which I need to read pronto. I even interviewed Mr. Vizzini back in the day when I was a noob blogger. Once I saw The House Of Secrets on Edelweiss, I immediately downloaded it. Imagine if The Goonies had a baby with Inkheart, I think the result would be House Of Secrets. (I really loved The Goonies and Inkheart so this is my way of complimenting it). House of Secrets is one of the most entertaining middle-grade fantasy novels I have ever read. The thing about House Of Secrets is that it's not just for little kids. I'm a grumpy male teen and I just absolutely loved this book. Anyone can enjoy House of Secrets because it's chock full of action, adventure, and humor. House Of Secrets is unlike any fantasy novel I've read recently. There's pirates, witches, magic houses, a WWI soldier, and just so much more. There's a lot going on in House Of Secrets plot-wise but Vizzini and Columbus manage to keep everything interesting. House of Secrets is well-written in a very cinematic way and I just kept imagining this book as a movie. This book actually started off as a movie script and Chris Columbus commented "I completed about 90 pages of the script, and realized that if I continued writing, this film would cost over $500 million dollars. " (from Chris Columbus's comments on House of Secrets). House of Secrets was a nice reprieve from all the generic dystopian books I have read recently. I really loved the way Columbus & Vizzini manage to include a ton of humor into the action-packed plot. One thing that irritated at me at first was the constant product references but I realize that these references gave it a realistic feel. There was one pop culture reference that was absolutely perfect: "I can see him from up here! He looks like thar really skinny British guy on the cover of Dad's old CDs..Yeah he looks like Mick Jagger if Mick Jagger ate a whole truckful of Snickers." Only Vizzini could pull off comparing Mick Jagger to a Snickers-obsessed-giant with dandruff without it becoming ridiculous. Usually when I read a book, the relationships between the siblings is just so fake but that's not the case in House of Secrets. (I kind am questioning how the Pevensie didn't really fight too much in The Chronicles of Narnia, maybe they were C.S. Lewis's ideal children.) The relationships between Cordelia, Brendan, and Eleanor was completely realistic. Their relationship kind of reminded me of my relationship with my two siblings. Besides the fact that the relationships between the characters were spot on, the characters themselves were realistic and extremely developed. Cordelia, Eleanor, and Brendan don't just sit around and mope that they are in the middle of a disaster. "Sometimes you can't get your life back. Sometiems you have to take it back." This is a fantastic quote from House of Secrets because not only does it describe the children's attitudes but it's also very applicable in life. I would highly recommend reading House of Secrets for people of all ages. Fans of Spiderwick Chronicles, Inkheart, and Narnia will love this fun. action-packed novel. I really loved how even though House of Secrets was entertaining, it was still filled with valuable morals. Once you read House of Secrets you'll be begging for the sequel!