scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Mojo

Mojo - Tim Tharp Seen At Scott Reads It1-1.5 Stars Thanks to Random House for providing me with an ARC of Mojo in exchange for a honest review. When I was chosen to be an Ambuzzador for Mojo on Random Buzzers, I was pretty ecstatic. Random Buzzers is an online community devoted to spreading the word about Random House titles for children and teens. Mojo was the first book I have read by National Book Award Finalist. It's hard to enjoy a book when you have a distaste for the protagonist. I found Dylan to be an extremely irritating and selfish character. When a girl named Ashton goes missing, Dylan immediately takes it upon himself to find her. You would think "Oh, he's so courageous and kind!" but then you would be wrong. Dylan doesn't want to find Ashton because it is the moral and benevolent thing to do. All Dylan cares about is getting Mojo, he doesn't just want to be another face in the crowd. I can identify with the urge to feel important and to be somebody but I feel like Dylan had the wrong approach. It seemed to me like Dylan didn't care about finding Ashton at all and all he cared about was the fame that came with it. Later on in the novel, Dylan hears rumors about his best-friend and her girlfriend. Instead of discussing the rumors, Dylan immediately makes false accusations about his friends. Dylan was extremely gullible and he seemed to believe every single thing that he heard. The way he treated his friend Audrey was simply inexcusable and just downright disgusting. Audrey is Dylan's lesbian best friend and she was one of my favorite characters in Mojo. Audrey was pretty darn awesome and I wasn't sure why she hung out with Dylan. Dylan treated Audrey like a piece of garbage and yet she didn't give up on him. Her loyalty to Dylan despite his maltreatment was pretty noteworthy and really demonstrated her loyalty. I wish there was a more focus on Audrey than on Dylan because I liked Audrey far better. Mojo isn't written well and I feel like Tim Tharp's writing style was a bit choppy. The sentences didn't seem to flow well and were awkwardly written . In Mojo I felt like Tharp overused metaphors and it seemed to me that every chapter started with a metaphor. I don't know about you, but the people I don't speak in metaphors every five seconds. It was also kind of odd that Dylan kept on using complex metaphors constantly but he lacked any common sense. One metaphor really bugged me while reading, Dylan compares himself to an arm less person because his bestfriend hasn't spoken to him in a day. Someone is definitely over dramatic I especially didn't like the way, Tharp set up the dialogue in Mojo. Whenever a character spoke in Mojo, the dialogue was set up very awkwardly. Here's a mock conversation that I'll model off of Mojo. Audrey was like "Dylan, you have to stop thinking you're a detective." I was like "I'm the best detective ever, you don't know what you're talking about"Does anyone else the problem here? When Tharp wanted to quote a character he used the word "like". The way Tharp set up dialogue irritated me and I didn't understand why Tharp didn't used the word replied or said instead of like. Plotwise, Mojo moves at a slow pace and it takes a while for the mystery to kick in. There was a couple scenes where Dylan wants the police and other people to take him serious. Maybe instead of complaining, you should do something about! Talking about a ridiculous TV Show and acting very unprofessional doesn't really help your case. I wanted Dylan to do something rather just sit around, a true detective doesn't just let events unfold by themselves. The mystery moved along at a ridiculously slow pace and I know I would have enjoyed Mojo if the plot moved at a faster pace. Despite the fact that the mystery takes extremely long to develop, the mystery is well-thought out. I loved how a bunch of things that seemed rather insignificant turned out to be rather important. By the time the mystery fully kicked in, I had lost most of my interest. The mystery took an unexpected turn that I didn't see coming but I felt apathetic. It all goes back to the pacing, the mystery and conclusion are pretty good but the reader will lose interest due to a slow plot. Mojo had such a promising mystery but the plot is watered down by a slow pace and an extremely irritating protagonist. Besides the slow pace and irritating protagonist, the writing didn't feel cohesive and I feel like it didn't flow well. Even though I didn't enjoy this novel, I would definitely consider giving Mr.Tharp another chance by picking up one of his other books.