scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Golden Door

The Golden Door - Emily Rodda Seen at Scott Reads It Emily Rodda is an international best-selling author and her Deltora Quest series has sold over 15 million copies across the globe. There is even a Deltora Quest anime in Australia yet I hadn't even heard of Emily Rodda until recently. I'm a fantasy junkie and I bet I would have loved Emily Rodda's books during elementary and middle school. The Golden Door is my first Emily Rodda and I don't expect it to be my last. The Golden Door is a short but sweet middle-grade novel that will appeal to younger readers. Sadly it doesn't have much cross-over appeal for Young Adults or adults. The Golden Door is an entertaining book but I have definitely read this book before in many different incarnations. This book mixes some very familiar fantasy concepts and plot elements into a mishmash which is known as The Golden Door. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy The Golden Door but it's nothing original at all. I never really felt an urge to keep reading, this book didn't really have an addictive quality to it. The Golden Door will certainly appeal to younger readers and I think many younger readers will love this book. I don't think I will be reading book #2; maybe I should read the Deltora Quest books. This book is perfect for younger readers who aren't quite old enough for Eragon or Lord Of The Rings. If you're familiar with the fantasy genre, you probably won't appreciate this book. Thank you to Scholastic for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.