scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

Shadow on the Mountain

Shadow on the Mountain - Margi Preus Check out my other reviews! I have read tons of books that take place during the World War Two era yet I have never read anything quite like Shadow On The Million. This book takes place in Norway, I don't think I've ever read a book set there. Shadow On The Mountain is actually based on the true story of a wartime spy and I wonder how much of this book is actually factual. Since Shadow On The Mountain is a book targeted towards children, I felt like Preus made things a bit unrealistic. Alot of the information about World War II and the Holocaust seemed extremely toned down and extremely unrealistic. I know this book is for kids but the way this book explains World War Two is overly simplified and not 100% true. Kids should know what the war was actually like because history mostly certainly repeats. I felt like Margi Preus was holding back while writing this book because of his audience but there are plenty of children's books that concisely explain WWII and the Holocaust (ie Number The Stars, Daniel's Story, The Boy With The Striped Pajamas). The way the characters acted in this book struck me as atypical behaviour for children, children don't act the way Preus portrayed them. Something that really bothered me was Espen's relationship with his father because it was absolutely ridiculous. What father doesn't care at all that his son is on a dangerous mission? Your son's life is at risk and you don't even give him a proper goodbye or tell him to be safe? Overall The Shadow On The Mountain tells a pretty interesting tale of Norway during WWII. It was fascinating to read about the war from a different angle than I've read. I wish the author had made the story more intense because the book felt way too light at times. I really don't think fart jokes belong in a book that deals with such a difficult and important topic. I understand that this book is for children and fart jokes are a form of comic relief but they didn't belong in this book and were extremely unnecessary. The ending of this book was decent but I felt like the ending was missing something. I would like to have read an extra chapter that dealt with the situation after the war. The Shadow On The Mountain isn't a perfect book but I think children will find it interesting. This book doesn't have cross-over appeal and I feel like this book is too immature and light for most YA readers. I'm still interested in reading the author's other book, Heart Of A Samurai.