scottreadsit

Scott Reads It!

The Hobbit

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien, Alan Lee Find this review at City of Books!Why do I bother to write a review for the Hobbit? The Hobbit is a fantasy classic that millions of read and is an upcoming feature film. So many people have read this book already and I doubt another Hobbit review is necessary but I'll write one anyway. The Hobbit is an epic adventure of a reluctant hobbit named Bilbo Baggins and 13 dwarves. Gandalf chooses Bilbo to go on an adventure of a lifetime to rescue treasure from a dragon named Smaug. Along the way Bilbo and his companions get in some sticky situations. I loved this book! The pacing was fast, the characters are great, and the plot was fantastic. I never ever felt bored while reading the Hobbit and I really loved seeing the Middle Earth before Lord of the Rings. Reading the Hobbit doesn't feel like the experience of reading a classic. Classics are usually written with very complicated language, plot and I usually don't enjoy them. There are some exceptions to that rule and Tolkein's books fit the idea.By far my favorite scene is with the one and the only Gollum. For some reason he is the highlight of the Middle Earth and I wish there was more written about him. Gollum is just one of those characters you can't help but like even though he is kind of evil (see LOTR). I am beyond psyched to see the Hobbit Part One in theaters. I really want to know how they are stretching this one not so thick book into three movies. Supposedly Peter Jackson is using tales from the Simarillion and so it must turn out interesting. I recommend this book for fans of LOTR, and just fantasy in general. If you're afraid to pick it up because it's a classic, it's an unique classic. The Hobbit is much lighter than the Lord of the Rings which I really enjoyed and it is also a lot easier to follow! Read this or else! Nah I'm just messing with you but seriously read The Hobbit because you won't be disappointed.